Coronavirus Update 5/4/2020:
Gradual Plan for Reopening Redeemer
Dear members of Redeemer Lutheran Church, on May 1st, 2020, Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb issued Executive Order 20-26 Roadmap to Reopen Indiana. While this order allows religious gatherings in houses of worship as soon as May 8th, Redeemer’s leadership has decided on a gradual deliberate opening for Redeemer that includes the following plans:
1. Return to Worship on May 30-31: We will return to regular in-person worship services on May 30-31 (Pentecost Sunday). All three services, Sat. 6:30pm, Sun 8:00am & 10:45am, will offer Holy Communion. We will ask all members to continue to observe social distancing, good hygiene practices, and stay home if you are sick. Those over the age of 65, those at medical risk, and those with concerns are encouraged to remain home according to the CDC guidelines. Online worship services will continue to be provided (pre-recorded or live-streamed). Adult Bible class and Youth Group will meet at their regular Sunday times, however, there will be no Sunday School until further notice. Parents are welcome to bring their children to Bible class with them if they so desire.
2. Open hours for Holy Communion: Pastor Kleinschmidt will be at church on Sundays May 10th, 17th, & 24th from 10:00am to Noon for those who desire to receive Holy Communion in small groups or individually—no appointment will be necessary. Please follow the directions of the elders when you arrive at the East entrance.
3. All Services Holy Communion: Beginning May 30-31 until July 4-5, all in-person worship services will offer Holy Communion, providing our members the greatest opportunity to receive the Sacrament.
4. The Church Office Opens May 26: The church office remains closed until May 26 at which time we will resume normal office hours of 10am – 2pm Mon-Fri.
5. Confirmation Class: Beginning May 19, confirmation class will resume using an online format.
6. Midweek Bible Studies/Lifelight on Hiatus: Midweek Bible studies, including LifeLight remain on break and will be re-examined when Indiana moves to Stage 3 of the Governor’s plan (tentatively scheduled for May 24).
7. Vacation Bible School has been cancelled for the summer of 2020.
8. Congregational Assembly Scheduled for September 20: Due to this emergency situation the regular Assembly scheduled for May has been tentatively rescheduled for Sept. 20, 2020 at noon. The election of officers is therefore postponed until that time. Redeemer’s Church Council approved the extension of the current officers’ terms until a new election can be held – President Kaegebein and Vice President Nieman abstained from the vote.
We know that everyone would love to be back to worship and Bible study as quickly as possible, but we feel that a measured approach to reopening is best. In this way, we can continue to be faithful in our devotion, live as good citizens, and balance our freedom with love for our neighbor’s health and wellbeing. This will most likely be a quickly changing situation, and we will try to keep you updated as much as possible. These plans may change. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
--Redeemer Congregation President Don Kaegebein, Vice President Dan Nieman, and Redeemer's Board of Elders and Church Council