Our congregation officially began on September 26, 1954 as 162 people gathered at a rented hall at the Pleasant View Dairy in Highland Indiana. Two years later, over 300 members dedicated the current church building at 9009 Kennedy Avenue.
In the years since, Redeemer congregation has baptized, confirmed, married, and buried thousands of people in northwest Indiana. The building has been expanded and improved many times, and our congregation has grown even as the town of Highland has changed from mostly farmland to a bustling suburban community.
Our congregation has always placed a high value on the Christian education of both young and old. From year round Sunday School classes, Youth Group, and Adult Instruction, to the Bethel Bible Series, Vacation Bible School, and our Little Lambs Preschool, Redeemer has always been a place of learning and growing as disciples of Jesus Christ.
Through much of our recent history, Redeemer has been served by vicars of the Church. Vicars are students training to be pastors in their third year of Master's Degree study. Each vicar spends one year serving a congregation as a sort of intern before graduation. Redeemer has been blessed to host over 20 vicars in our history. We are also proud of the three men from our own congregation that have entered the Pastoral Ministry and are serving the Church nationwide.